Bachelor of Science Elementary Education
Put your passion to work by earning your teaching degree and prepare for your elementary teacher's license.
Why Choose a degree in Elementary Education?
Teaching is not only a profession, it is an opportunity for you to impact the lives of children as they develop cognitively, socially and emotionally. You will be able to inspire creativity, provide leadership, and collaborate with others. You will be qualified for a North Carolina Teaching License. Students in the Elementary Education Program are trained to implement effective strategies to teach reading, math, science, language arts, social studies, health, art, music, physical education, and technology to students in kindergarten through sixth grade. All students in the program receive quality training in classroom management, assessment techniques, and professionalism.
A member of the CAEP ( Formerly NCATE) accredited School of Education; the Elementary Education Program is approved by the NC State Department of Public Instruction to offer a license in elementary education and approved by the UNC Board of Governors to offer the BS degree.
What Will You Learn in Elementary Education?
You will graduate from this program with the ability to be a knowledgeable, caring and reflective teacher; you will also demonstrate an understanding of:
- Cognitive, mental and physical development of K-6 students
- Content knowledge of the elementary curriculum
- Research-based instructional strategies
- Data-driven instruction
- Differentiation of instruction
- Assessment strategies
- Technology and its role in the teaching and learning process
- Working with families and community
- Leading in the classroom and in schools
- Instruction that is responsive to all learner needs
What Concentrations are Available in Elementary Education?
- Academic Core
- Special Education
- Teaching English as a Second Language
What Can You Do With an Elementary Education Degree?
There are several types of jobs for elementary education majors even outside of the classroom:
- Classroom Teacher in Kindergarten to Grade 6 in Public or Private Schools
- Community Education
- Youth Worker
- Learning Mentor
- Educational Book Companies
- Pursue Advanced Degrees
- Add additional licensure areas to a teaching license