Why Choose an M.A.T. Program in Special Education?
Special education is a challenging and rewarding career where adults get to impact the lives of children. Special Education, allows you to work with those students who need YOUR help the most! The program is aimed at individuals who already have an undergraduate degree with or without a teaching license, and current "lateral entry" teachers who are seeking special education licensure. Courses combine both initial and advanced level licensure requirements for Special Education: General Curriculum in a two-phase process. As part of the program, you will complete a series of field experiences within area schools.
What Will You Learn?
You will graduate from the Special Education M.A.T. program with the skills necessary to teach students in the general curriculum from kindergarten through high school.
Specific skills learned will include:
- Strategies for planning and implementing instruction for students with special needs
- Cognitive, mental and physical development of K-12 students
- Understanding of current laws and regulations related to special education
- Techniques for assessing learning and designing instruction
- Research-based instructional practices