We provide students with the opportunity to earn degrees in the subject areas of Mathematics, Biology, English, Music (K-12), Art (K-12) and Spanish (K-12) with a concentration in Teacher Education. Students from these programs, possess very strong content knowledge and develop pedagogical skills as they matriculate through the degree programs.
Why Choose Secondary Education?
Earning a content area degree with a concentration in teaching gives students numerous options. You are prepared to go directly into the classroom or industry without any additional training.
* Steady Employment: Teacher education is a consistent high need area. Students with content area degrees usually have accepted employment opportunities before they graduate.
* Significant work with people: The teaching profession provides a lifetime of rewarding opportunities to help the next generation. There is nothing greater than knowing you have made an impact and assisted a young person in reaching their full potential.
What Will You Learn?
* Technology-You will gain practical knowledge of the latest technology tools used in today's classrooms.
* Pedagogy-You will gain valuable knowledge of culturally relevant pedagogy and pedagogy of the oppressed.
* Conflict Resolution-You will gain knowledge in the management of people, situations, policies and protocols as it pertains to education.
* Strategic Planning- You will learn and practice the art of effective lesson planning and development of short-and long-term goals for sustained success.
* Diversity-You will gain a deeper understanding of themselves as well as those around them.
* Mentoring- You will participate in mentorship relationships with in-service teachers to gain real work experience.
* Leadership-You will develop valuable leadership skills through intentional leadership training and situational analysis.
What Will You Do?
Upon completion of the program, you will be able to go directly into a Secondary (9-12) or K-12 classroom and start teaching without any additional certifications. If you decided not to teach you will have access to industry in a number of capacities such as educational trainers and providing technical assistance using your methodological and pedagogical skills to support industry or entrepreneurship.