Department of Health, Physical and Secondary Education
A career in education is an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students. With a degree in education, you will gain the necessary skills related to content, master the art of teaching, and inspire others, all while giving back to your community.
Why Choose HPSE?
The HPSE faculty provide innovative and real-world learning activities for our students so that after graduation, they are ready to become leaders in the field. Our department prides itself on our extensive experiences teaching K-12 students, building community partnerships, and working alongside local agencies and community residents to adopt healthful lifestyles. Our faculty will provide the caring mentorship and instructional support needed throughout your academic journey at FSU.
We consistently offer small class sizes that enable you to receive individualized attention. We understand that many students are choosing education later in life; therefore, we provide many courses on-line or through hybrid teaching methods while maintaining the same rigor of the content supplied through on-campus courses. Our graduates have gone on to teach throughout North Carolina and across the country. Many of our graduates have pursued advanced degrees through master's and doctoral programs.
The principal goal of the Department of Health, Physical and Secondary Education is to provide quality education for prospective facilitators of learning in physical education, secondary education subjects, community-based health education, and sport management. In keeping with this principle goal, the department offers programs leading to the:
- Health and Physical Education-Teaching K-12 (B.S.)
- Health and Physical Education-Non-Teaching (B.S.)
- Licensure in Art Education (K-12)
- Licensure in Health and Physical Education (K-12)
- Licensure in Music Education (K-12)
- Licensure in Spanish Education (K-12)
- Licensure in Secondary Education (9-12), Biology Specialty Area
- Licensure in Secondary Education (9-12), English Specialty Area
- Licensure in Secondary Education (9-12), Mathematics Specialty Area
- M.A.T. in Secondary Education
- M.Ed. in Secondary Education