Sport and Fitness Management, B.S.
What Will You Learn?
Sport Management is an interdisciplinary field of education that prepares students for the business aspects for sports and recreation. The discipline focuses on individual development of leadership skills in the areas of planning, organizing, budgeting, and evaluation in the sport industry.
Sport management professionals must be knowledgeable in the following core competence areas:
- Human behavior in sports and recreation
- Management and organization in sports
- Marketing and budgeting and financing in sports
- Ethics and legal aspects of sports and recreation
- Sport policies and governance
- SPTM 211 Introduction to Sport Management
- SPTM 301 Sport Governance and Policy
- SPTM 330 Sport Facility and Event Management
- SPTM 331 Economics and Finance of Sport
- SPTM 340 Sport Marketing and Communications
- SPTM 350 Aquatics and Facility Management
- SPTM 421 Management and Leadership in Sport Organizations
- SPTM 450 Legal Aspect of Sport
- SPTM 490 Sport Management Intership and Seminar
Students must complete a 350-hour internship at an approved sport management site under the direct supervision of a professional in a managerial level in sport management.
What Can You Do?
- Sport Management Programs
- Sport Financial Management
- Athletic Administration
- Sport Marketing
- Professional Sports
- Athletic Coach/Director
- Sports Agent
- Fitness and Wellness Director
- Fitness and Event Coordinator
- Personal Trainer
- Recreation and Aquatics Facilities Manager
- Aquatics Facility Operator
- Personal Training
- Lifeguard and Water Safety Instructor
- First Aid and Safety