Frequently asked questions about Campus Police


Q: Are campus police officers “real police officers”?

A: Campus Police Officers are real police officers sworn through NC Criminal Justice Training and Standards. Sworn officers receive the same training as any other sworn law enforcement officer in the State of North Carolina. Sworn officers do have the powers of arrest.


Q: How do I contact campus police?

A: You may contact campus police by coming to the Mitchell Building. You may also contact us by call the Non-Emergency number: 910-672-1775 or in an Emergency: 910-672-1911 or 911.

There are also emergency call boxes located throughout the campus.


Q: When should I contact campus police?

A: You should contact campus police anytime you are a victim or witness of a crime on campus. You should also contact campus police if you observe suspicious persons, activities or vehicles on campus. If you do not feel safe on campus, contact campus police.


Q: What’s the difference between “police officers” and “security officers”?

A: Fayetteville State University Police employs both sworn police officers and Non-Sworn security officers. Sworn officers have arrest powers and security officers cannot make a physical arrest. However, in extreme cases, security officers can detain a suspect of a major crime until a sworn officer arrives on the scene.


Q: What type of services do Campus Police provide?

A: Campus Police provide a variety of services to include: vehicle unlocks, vehicle jump starts, safe ride and safety escorts, investigations of crimes or incidents occurring on the property of Fayetteville State University, Rape Aggression Defense training, medical assistance and various other security related training.

***Campus police do not change flat tires or provide gas***


Q: How do I file a police report?

A: If you are a victim and or witness to a crime or incident that occurred on the property of Fayetteville State University, you can come to the Campus Police Office located in the Mitchell Building (1200 Murchison Road); Depending upon the type of incident being reported, you may call the Campus Police Office at: 910-672-1775 (Non-Emergency) or 910-672-1911 (Emergency) or 911.

If the crime or incident occurred off the property of Fayetteville State University Police, then you would need to contact local law enforcement in that jurisdiction.


Q: How do I get a copy of a police report?

A: Certain police reports are considered “public records”. If you file a report with campus police, you can request a copy of the report in writing by stopping by the campus police office between 8:30 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Thursday.

Reports of investigations and those containing confidential, personal or other sensitive data will not be released. Each request is evaluated and not all reports can be released.


Q: Why does the dispatcher ask for my name or other information when I call?

A: It is common police practice to request names of callers for several reasons, including the possibility that we may have to contact you to get more information; especially if you are reporting a crime. It is also important for this information to be obtained as it has to be entered into our dispatch log


Q: What information do I need to give the dispatcher?

A: Depending upon the type of call, the dispatcher will generally ask the following: Name, What type of assistance is need, Location, etc… More questions will be asked depending upon the type of incident.


Q: Do I need to purchase a parking permit if I only take classes at night?

A: Yes, if you park your vehicle on the campus of Fayetteville State University as a student or employee, you are required to have a valid parking permit.


Q: Where do I purchase a parking permit and how do I get the permit?

A: Parking permits can be purchased on line by visiting the Police/Public Safety page on the Fayetteville State University website. You will need a valid driver’s license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance. Once you have paid for your permit, you can pick the permit up at the Mitchell Building.