Health & Physical Education K-12 (BS)
Health and Physical Education (K-12) students are prepared to be facilitators and change agents for promoting better health through skills-based health and physical education.
Why Choose Health and Physical Education?
Becoming a physical education teacher is for dedicated individuals who love kids, sports and physical fitness.
Today more than ever good health, nutrition and exercise are important for our nation's children, and PE teachers play an important role in their students' overall development. If you love sports, are passionate about health and fitness, and want to work with kids, becoming a K-12 physical education teacher could be a great career choice for you.
It was at FSU where I met lifelong friends, and mentors. My Journey at FSU was great.
What Will You Learn?
Health and Physical Education (K-12) students are prepared to be facilitators and change agents for promoting better health through skill-based health and physical education. The Health and Physical Education curriculum assist students in the development of cognitive, psychomotor and affective learning patterns as requisite tools for effective teaching in K-12. To facilitate and enhance high levels of wellness the health and physical educator must be able to:
- Assess determinants of health
- Recognize the value of physical activity and other personal behavior on wellness
- Demonstrate compentency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns
- Use 21st-century knowledge and skills to teach health and physical education to a diverse group of K-12 students.
- EDUC 210 Technology Applications for Teachers
- EDUC 310 Foundations of Education
- EDUC 330 Educational Psychology and Human Development
- EDUC 331 Instructional Design and Assessment of Learning
- EDUC 455 Classroom Management and Principles of Secondary Teaching
- EDUC 464 Methods and Materials in Health & Physical Education
- READ 320 Teaching Reading in Secondary Schools
- EDUC 470/480 Clinical Experience in the Secondary School
- EDUC 490 Professional Education Seminar
In the clinical experience, candidates are paired with educators in the classroom to the further develop content knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge, pedagogical skills, and integration of technology in all areas to produce a positive impact on student learning. The goal of the clinical experience is to link theory and practice within the clinical setting to contextualize and cultivate knowledge, skills, and professional dispositions. Admission to teacher education or permission of instructor is a prerequisite.
What Will You Do?
- K-12 Educator
- Educational leadership
- Curriculum development
- Special Education