The music program at Fayetteville State University produces musicians prepared to make significant contributions to the music profession. The BA in Music has two concentrations (Music Education and Music) which offer a variety of flexibility in course offerings as a liberal arts institution.
Why choose Music?
The music program at FSU offers exposure to diverse and innovative experiences in performance, workshops and classroom participation that goes beyond the traditional training. With exposure to real world experiences, we provide life-long learning experiences with music, and promote a climate for scholarly engagement with music.
Ashonti Gainey in Trinidad
- essential skills of musical performance.
- comprehensive knowledge of music theory and essential aural skills.
- comprehensive knowledge of music history and synthesize the analysis of literature, performance styles, and genres of Western and non-Western music.
- devise a construct of music through aesthetic experience and critical and creative thinking.
- analyze and synthesize pedagogical strategies, assessment, and the nature of the learner.
You can have a rewarding career in ....
- music education
- arts management
- entertainment law
- music therapy
- music business
- creating vitual reality sound environments
- music worship
- music communication
- broadcast media
- music journalism
- music librarian film scoring
- music production and engineering
- performing arts medicine
- vocal/instrumental performing
- instrument repair
- recording industry
- electronic production and design
- publicity and promotions
- Student Time Management Schedule
- Prospective Student Inquiry Form
- Accompanist Request Form
- Applied Jury Repertoire Sheet
- Freshman Review Form
- Hearing Form (Soph. Qual. And Sr. Recital)
- Jury-Audition Form
- Piano Proficiency Evaluation Form
- Sophomore Qualifying Exam Approval Form
- Sophomore Qualifying Check-Off List
- Senior Recital Approval Form
- Senior Recital Check-Off List
(1) Concert Band [Contact Dr. Jorim Reid]
(2) University Concert Choir [Contact Dr. Denise Payton]
(3) Marching Bronco 'Xpress (MBX) [Contact Dr. Jorim Reid]
(1) Brass Ensemble [Contact Professor Austin Chalmers]
(2) Jazz Ensemble [Contact Dr. Neal Finn]
(3) Mane Attraction [Contact Dr. Denise Payton]
(4) Men of Distinction [Contact Dr. Denise Payton]
(5) Opera Workshop [Contact Dr. Denise Payton]
(6) Percussion Ensemble [Contact Dr. Quintin Mallette]
(7) Woodwind Ensemble [Contact Professor Taiki Azuma]
|Amanda Virelles||Assistant Department Chair, Piano, Associate Professoremail@example.com|
|Neal Finn||Director of Jazz Xpress, Brass, Composition, Associate Professorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Denise Payton||Director of Choral Activities, Lectureremail@example.com|
|Jorim Reid||Director of Bands, Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Austin Chalmers||Assistant Director of Bands, Lectureremail@example.com|
|Jerrita Waters||Music Education, Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Quintin Mallette||Music Area Coordinator, Percussion, Lectureremail@example.com|
|Taiki Azuma||Woodwinds, Adjunct Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Carlos Castilla||Guitar, Adjunct Lectureremail@example.com|
|Laura Eis||Strings, Adjunct Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dandrick Glenn||Low Brass, Adjunct email@example.com|
|David Lewis||High Brass, Adjunct Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
Applicants to the Music Area at Fayetteville state must be admitted to both the University and the Music Area.
To apply for a major in music:
1. Complete an application to Fayetteville State University. Declare your major as music.
For the Spring 2021 semester all auditions to the music area will be held virtually or pre-recorded. Due to concerns surrounding instrument availability percussion auditions may be scheduled on campus. Audition days will consist of a meeting and Q&A with music faculty to answer questions about the program, a theory diagnostic exam, and an audition for your area of focus.
Audition Dates & Scheduling
Theory Exam Information
- Free Music Theory Resources