Dr. Sambit Bhattacharya
Professor in Computer Science
Director of the Intelligent Systems Lab
Office: Science & Technology 214
Phone: (910) 672-1156
Dr. Sambit Bhattacharya has taught Computer Science in Fayetteville State University since 2005. His research interests are in machine learning, computer vision and their applications in robotics and geospatial data analysis. He teaches in these same areas, including introductory programming and computer systems. His research, and education program development efforts have been supported over the years by grants from the National Science Foundation, the US Department of Education, the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, and the US Department of Defense. Dr. Bhattacharya collaborates with scientists at research laboratories of the US Department of Defense, and works with industry on applied research projects. In summer 2017 he was Faculty in Residence at Google Inc., Mountain View, California.
Introductory programming. Languages used or currently in use: Python, Java, C++, MATLAB.
Programming for Geographic Information Systems
Computer Organization and Architecture
Image Processing and Computer Vision
Geospatial Big Data
1. Bhattacharya, Sambit, Bogdan Czejdo, Shubo Han, and Mohammad Siddique. "Behavior based approach for robot navigation and chemical anomaly tracking." In Intelligent Robotics and Applications, pp. 317-327. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2011.
2. Czejdo, Bogdan, Sambit Bhattacharya, and Mikolaj Baszun. "Use of Multi-Level State Diagrams for Robot Cooperation in an Indoor Environment." In Digital Information Processing and Communications, pp. 411-425. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2011.
3. What the robot sees, what the human feels: Robotic face detection and the human emotional response. Studies in brain, face, and emotion.
Montoya, Daniel; Baker-Oglesbee, Alissa; Bhattacharya, Sambit
Emotional expression: The brain and the face (Vol 3).Studies in brain, face, and emotion.(pp. 43-71)Porto, Portugal: Edições Universidade Fernando Pessoa Freitas-Magalhães , A. (Ed), (2011). xxv, 265 pp.
4. Pliss, Artem, Andrew J. Fritz, Branislav Stojkovic, Hu Ding, Lopamudra Mukherjee, Sambit Bhattacharya, Jinhui Xu, and Ronald Berezney. "Non‐Random Patterns in the Distribution of NOR‐Bearing Chromosome Territories in Human Fibroblasts: A Network Model of Interactions." Journal of cellular physiology 230, no. 2 (2015): 427-439.
5. Fritz, Andrew J., Branislav Stojkovic, Hu Ding, Jinhui Xu, Sambit Bhattacharya, Daniel Gaile, and Ronald Berezney. "Wide-scale alterations in interchromosomal organization in breast cancer cells: defining a network of interacting chromosomes." Human molecular genetics 23, no. 19 (2014): 5133-5146.
6. Fritz, Andrew J., Branislav Stojkovic, Hu Ding, Jinhui Xu, Sambit Bhattacharya, and Ronald Berezney. "Cell type specific alterations in interchromosomal networks across the cell cycle." PLoS Comput Biol 10, no. 10 (2014): e1003857.
7. Pliss, Artem, Kishore S. Malyavantham, Sambit Bhattacharya, and Ronald Berezney. "Chromatin dynamics in living cells: identification of oscillatory motion." Journal of cellular physiology 228, no. 3 (2013): 609-616.
8. Flowers, Lawrence O., Erin N. White, James E. Raynor, and Sambit Bhattacharya. "African American students' participation in online distance education in STEM disciplines." SAGE Open 2, no. 2 (2012): 2158244012443544.
9. Czejdo, Bogdan, Sambit Bhattacharya, and Erik Ferragut. "Query Processing for Probabilistic State Diagrams Describing Multiple Robot Navigation in an Indoor Environment." International Journal of Digital Information and Wireless Communications (IJDIWC) 1, no. 2 (2011): 516-535.
10. Malyavantham, Kishore S., Sambit Bhattacharya, and Ronald Berezney. "The architecture of functional neighborhoods within the mammalian cell nucleus." Advances in enzyme regulation 50, no. 1 (2010): 126-134.
11. Bhattacharya, Sambit, and Bogdan Denny Czejdo. "A state diagram creation and code generation tool for robot programming." Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges 25, no. 3 (2010): 120-127.
12. Zeitz, Michael J., Lopamudra Mukherjee, Sambit Bhattacharya, Jinhui Xu, and Ronald Berezney. "A probabilistic model for the arrangement of a subset of human chromosome territories in WI38 human fibroblasts." Journal of cellular physiology 221, no. 1 (2009): 120-129.
13. Marella, Narasimharao V., Sambit Bhattacharya, Lopamudra Mukherjee, Jinhui Xu, and Ronald Berezney. "Cell type specific chromosome territory organization in the interphase nucleus of normal and cancer cells." Journal of cellular physiology 221, no. 1 (2009): 130-138.
14. Czejdo, Bogdan Denny, and Sambit Bhattacharya. "Programming robots with state diagrams." Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges 24, no. 5 (2009): 19-26.
15. Pliss, Artem, Kishore Malyavantham, Sambit Bhattacharya, Michael Zeitz, and Ronald Berezney. "Chromatin dynamics is correlated with replication timing." Chromosoma 118, no. 4 (2009): 459-470.
16. Malyavantham, Kishore S., Sambit Bhattacharya, Marcos Barbeitos, Lopamudra Mukherjee, Jinhui Xu, Frank O. Fackelmayer, and Ronald Berezney. "Identifying functional neighborhoods within the cell nucleus: Proximity analysis of early S‐phase replicating chromatin domains to sites of transcription, RNA polymerase II, HP1, matrin 3 and SAF‐A." Journal of cellular biochemistry 105, no. 2 (2008): 391-403.
17. Malyavantham, Kishore S., Sambit Bhattacharya, William D. Alonso, Raj Acharya, and Ronald Berezney. "Spatio-temporal dynamics of replication and transcription sites in the mammalian cell nucleus." Chromosoma 117, no. 6 (2008): 553-567.
18. Berezney, Ronald, Kishore S. Malyavantham, Artem Pliss, Sambit Bhattacharya, and Raj Acharya. "Spatio-temporal dynamics of genomic organization and function in the mammalian cell nucleus." Advances in enzyme regulation 45, no. 1 (2005): 17-26.
19. S. Bhattacharya and R. Agrawal, "Development of robot swarm algorithms on an extensible framework," IEEE SoutheastCon 2017, Concord, NC, USA, 2017, pp. 1-6. doi: 10.1109/SECON.2017.7925296
20. S. Bhattacharya and B. Czejdo. " Synergy of Artificial Intelligence Projects in Faculty- Student Research." In Proceedings of the 2017 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ICAI'17), pp. 151-156. 2017.
21. Maynord, Michael, Sambit Bhattacharya, and David W. Aha. "Image Surveillance Assistant." 2016 IEEE Winter Applications of Computer Vision Workshops (WACVW). IEEE, 2016.
22. Maynord, M., Aha, D.W., & Bhattacharya, S. "Image Surveillance Assistant Architecture: Status and Planned Extensions". Deep Learning for Artificial Intelligence (DLAI) Workshop of the 25th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI). 2016. Available at: http://home.earthlink.net/~dwaha/research/meetings/ijcai16-dlai-ws/.
23. Bhattacharya, S.; Czejdo, B.; Martellaro, J.; Bowe, A.; Pancholi, K.; Hall, S. "Creation of a Student Research Environment in Artificial Intelligence with Industrial Involvement." Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference (FLAIRS-29), North America, March. 2016. Available at: http://www.aaai.org/ocs/index.php/FLAIRS/FLAIRS16/paper/view/12925.
24. Anu, Jeffrey, Rajeev Agrawal, Nawrin Sultana, Sambit Bhattacharya, and Denny Czejdo. "Probabilistic model to predict movement pattern in geospatial data." In SoutheastCon 2015, pp. 1-7. IEEE, 2015.
25. Anu, Jeffrey, Rajeev Agrawal, Cameron Seay, and Sambit Bhattacharya. "Smart Grid Security Risks." In Information Technology-New Generations (ITNG), 2015 12th International Conference on, pp. 485-489. IEEE, 2015.
26. Anu, Jeffrey, Rajeev Agrawal, and Sambit Bhattacharya. "Ranking tourist attractions using time series GPS data of cabs." In SOUTHEASTCON 2014, IEEE, pp. 1-6. IEEE, 2014.
27. Bhattacharya, S., Czejdo, B., Malholtra, R. (2014). Infusing geospatial computing in computer science education. 52nd Annual ACM Southeast Conference 2014. Retrieved from: acmse14.kennesaw.edu/index.php.
28. Bhattacharya, S., Czejdo, B., Malholtra, R., Agrawal, R. (2014). Research modules in geospatial computing. 52nd Annual ACM Southeast Conference 2014. Retrieved from: acmse14.kennesaw.edu/index.php.
29. Bhattacharya, Sambit, and Anil M. Cheriyadat. "Integrated Analysis of Ground Level and Aerial Image Data." In Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and the Simulation of Behaviour (AISB), 2014 Convention of, online http://doc.gold.ac.uk/aisb50/AISB50-S05/AISB50-S5-Bhattacharya-paper.pdf.
30. Bhattacharya, Sambit, Bogdan Czejdo, Rakesh Malhotra, Nicolas Perez, and Rajeev Agrawal. "Agent Based Modeling of Moving Point Objects in Geospatial Data." In Computing for Geospatial Research and Application (COM. Geo), 2013 Fourth International Conference on, pp. 132-133. IEEE, 2013.
31. Bhattacharya, Sambit, Bogdan Czejdo, Rakesh Malhotra, Nicolas Perez, and Rajeev Agrawal. "Characterization of Moving Point Objects in Geospatial Data." In Computing for Geospatial Research and Application (COM. Geo), 2013 Fourth International Conference on, pp. 151-151. IEEE, 2013.
32. Baker, Yolanda S., Rajeev Agrawal, and Sambit Bhattacharya. "Analyzing security threats as reported by the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT)." In Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI), 2013 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 10-12. IEEE, 2013.
33. Bhattacharya, Sambit, Bogdan Czejdo, and Rakesh Malhotra. "Geospatial intelligence as a context for computing education." In Proceeding of the 44th ACM technical symposium on Computer science education, pp. 741-741. ACM, 2013.
34. Bhattacharya, Sambit, Bogdan Czejdo, and Nicolas Perez. "Gesture classification with machine learning using kinect sensor data." In Emerging Applications of Information Technology (EAIT), 2012 Third International Conference on, pp. 348-351. IEEE, 2012.
35. Bhattacharya, Sambit, Denny Bogdan Czejdo, and Nicolas Perez. "Research Modules for Undergraduates in Machine Learning for Automatic Gesture Classification." In Twenty-Fifth International FLAIRS Conference, pp. 318 - 321. 2012.
36. Czejdo, B. D., S. Bhattacharya, and J. Czejdo. "Use of Probabilistic State Diagrams for Robot Navigation in an Indoor Environment." In Proceedings of the Annual International Conference on Advanced Topics in Artificial Intelligence (ATAI), pp. A-97 to A-102. 2010.
37. Bhattacharya, Sambit., and Czejdo, B. D. "Using Robot Soccer Game To Teach Advanced Computer Science Concepts". In Proceedings of the Annual International Conference on Computer Science Education: Innovation & Technology (CSEIT 2010), pp. I-205 to I-210.
38. Bhattacharya, Sambit, B. D. Czejdo, and Sean Mobley. "An Integrated Computer Vision and Infrared Sensor Based Approach to Autonomous Robot Navigation in an Indoor Environment." In Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Computing, Communications and Control Technologies. 2009, pp. 42 - 47.
39. Bhattacharya, Sambit, Raj Acharya, Artem Pliss, Kishore S. Malyavantham, and Ronald Berezney. "A Hybrid Registration Approach for Matching Genomic Structures in Multimodal Microscopic Images of Living Cells." In Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision, and Pattern Recognition (IPCV), pp. 217-221. 2008.
40. Bhattacharya, Sambit, Raj Acharya, Artem Pliss, Kishore S. Malyavantham, and Ronald Berezney. "Comparison of Intensity Based Similarity Measures forMatching Genomic Structures in Microscopic Images of Living Cells." In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2006. EMBS'06. 28th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, pp. 3057-3061. IEEE, 2006.
41. Bhattacharya, S., R. Acharya, A. Pliss, K. S. Malyavantham, and R. Berezney. "Automated matching of genomic structures in microscopic images of living cells using an information theoretic approach." In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2005. IEEE-EMBS 2005. 27th Annual International Conference of the, pp. 6425-6428. IEEE, 2006.
42. Bhattacharya, S., K. S. Malyavantham, R. Acharya, and R. Berezney. "Fractal analysis of replication site images of the human cell nucleus." In Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2004. IEMBS'04. 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, vol. 1, pp. 1443-1446. IEEE, 2004.
43. Lin, Mingen, Jinhui Xu, Sambit Bhattacharya, and Ronald Berezney. "Surface approximation based image simplification and applications." In Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2004 IEEE International Conference on, vol. 3, pp. 2988-2993. IEEE, 2004.
AWARDED GRANTS, CONTRACTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
1. PI, "Acquisition of a High Performance GPU Cluster and Sensing Equipment for Research and Education at Fayetteville State University in Areas of Interest to DoD", Department of Defense (DoD) Research and Education Program for Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Minority-Serving Institutions (HBCU/MI) Equipment/Instrumentation, $326,278. Funded from July, 2016 to January, 2018.
2. PI, Proposals submitted to the Collaborative Research Experiences for Undergraduates (CREU) program of the Computing Research Association (CRA). Four students were funded for each of the years 2016-2017 and 2017-2018, for $3,000 per student. Additional amounts included $1,500 for travel. Research projects were in machine learning, computer vision and robotics.
3. PI, "FSU Robotics Team (NASA Swarmathon) - Team Competition". Prime Awarding Agency: NASA, Pass-through Entity (PTE): North Carolina State University. As part of the North Carolina Space Grant Higher Education/Team Competition Program, $4,976. Funded from November, 2017 to April 2018.
4. Co-PI, "Strengthening Computer and Information Sciences Engagement and Learning (SCISEL)", American Association of Colleges and University (AAC&U), $299,729. Funded from August, 2014 to August, 2017.
5. Co-PI, "Developing the Geospatial Intelligence Certificate at FSU", National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA), $443,463 with Rakesh Malhotra (PI) and Bogdan Czejdo (Co-PI). Funded from August, 2012 to August, 2017. Award Id: HM01771210002.
6. PI, "MRI-R2: Acquisition of Robots and Robot Accessories for Interdisciplinary Faculty and Student Research at Fayetteville State University", NSF, Major Research Instrumentation Program (MRI-R²) Recovery and Reinvestment, $175,092 with Michael Almeida, Bogdan Czejdo and Daniel Montoya as Co-PIs. Funded from May 1st, 2010 to April 30th, 2013. Award Id: 0959958.
7. Co-PI, "Pre-College and Undergraduate Freshman Research Mentoring Opportunities in Mathematics and Science (UROMS)", U. S. Department of Education grant, $583,263 with Daniel Okunbor (PI) and Muhammad Lodhi (Co-PI). Funded from September 1st, 2010 to August 31st, 2013. Award number: P120A100094.
8. Co-PI, "Improving Minority Participation in NASA Workforce and STEM Educational Pipeline", National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Curriculum Improvement Partnership Award for the Integration of Research into the Undergraduate Curriculum (CIPAIR), 2010. Funded from October 1st, 2010 to May 1st, 2011 for partial amount of $50,000 as a planning grant with full proposal to be re-submitted in 2011. Written with Daniel Okunbor (PI), Yufang Bao, John Bianchini, Bogdan Czejdo and Muhammad Lodhi (Co-PIs). Proposal number: 10-CIPAIR2010-0004.
9. PI, "FSU Robotics Summer Program Proposal", submitted to the Youth Growth Stock Trust administered by United Way of Cumberland County, $13,000 with Kimberly Smith-Burton and Bogdan Czejdo as Co-PIs. Funded for August 2009.
10. PI, "Proposal to Use Robots in Teaching an Introductory Programming Class and a Computer Science Topics Class", Institute for Personal Robotics in Education (IPRE), $10,000 with Michael Almeida (Co-PI). Funded from June 12th, 2008 to June 12th, 2009.
11. PI, "Open Source Databases for Geospatial Data", Sub-contract from BAE Systems under National System for Geospatial-Intelligence (NSG) Consolidated Library (NCL) Contract HM1572-14-C-N003 2016, $17,437. Dates: July to August 2017.
12. PI, "Tracking Crowd Dynamics from Multiple Camera Systems", Millennium Integration and Engineering Company, $50,000. Dates: December 2014 to January 2016.
13. U.S. Army Research Laboratory - Army Research Office (ARL-ARO) Faculty Fellowship. 2017. Research project: Joint Video and Natural Language Analysis for Efficient Communication Between Robot and Base Station. Location: U.S. Army Research Lab, Adelphi, MD.
14. Senior Summer Faculty Fellow sponsored by US Office of Naval Research (ONR). 2016. Research project: Image Surveillance Architecture. Location: Naval Research Lab, Washington DC.
15. Summer Faculty Fellow sponsored by US Office of Naval Research (ONR). 2015. Research project: Perception Pipeline Architecture for Surveillance Assistance. Location: Naval Research Lab, Washington DC.
16. Summer Faculty Fellow sponsored by US Office of Naval Research (ONR). 2014. Research project: Applications of Sum-Product Networks to Recursive Structure Learning. Location: Naval Research Lab, Washington DC.
17. Visiting Faculty Program sponsored by US Department of Energy (DOE). 2013. Research project: Probabilistic Framework for Modeling Interactions of Dynamic Geospatial Objects with Static Landmarks. Location: Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Knoxville, TN.