Advising FAQs

Enrolling in Courses

Adding, Dropping, Withdrawing or Repeating a Course

Incomplete Grades

Minors and Concentrations

Second Bachelor Degree

Final Grade Appeals


Academic Probation and Suspension

Readmission into the University

Academic Honors


Calculating Your Grade Point Average

Midterm Grades

Student Academic Support Resources


Federal Work Study


Information on Contacting Faculty, Department Chairs, and Deans

Filing a Complaint

Career Services



Enrolling in Courses


How Do I Register for Classes?

Pre-Registration takes place 5 times per year:

  • March – August for the Fall semester
  • November – January for the 16 week Spring Semester
  • November – January for the 1st 8 week
  • March - October for the 2nd 8 week classes
  • March – June for Summer I courses
  • March – July for Summer II courses

Failure to pre-register means you may find desired courses closed. If a course is required for graduation, you should contact the Department Chair so that he/she may help you gain entry into the course.

Detailed instructions for pre-registration are available here [give link]. You are encouraged to meet with your professional advisor [give link for list of professional advisors] before registering for courses. The Alt Pin for all students is 151515.


How many credits do I need to take each semester?

In order to make satisfactory progress towards your degree, you should take at least 15 credits each semester. Graduation in four years requires an average load of 15 credits per semester.


Can I take a course at another university during summer?

You must complete the Approval to Pursue Course(s) at Another Institution Form before registering for a course at another university. If you pass the course with a grade of “C” or better, the course will transfer into FSU. The course credit, not the grade, will transfer. If you are interested in taking an online course from another institution, you should look at UNC Online.


Can I take graduate courses before I receive my undergraduate degree?

You will be permitted to enroll in 500-level classes if you meet the following stipulations:

  1. Senior classification
  2. GPA of 3.0 or higher
  3. Approval from your advisor and department chair
  4. Consultation with the instructor of the course(s) in which you seek to enroll to ensure its appropriateness; and
  5. Enrollment in a maximum of fifteen credits per semester (of which no more than six may be graduate credits) or a maximum of six hours in a summer session (of which no more than three may be graduate credits.)

You are not permitted to pursue an undergraduate and graduate degree at the same time. Graduate credits earned may subsequently be counted toward a graduate degree only if the credits were not used to fulfill undergraduate requirements.


How do I know I am taking the right courses for my major?

There are several resources you can use to find out which courses you need for your major.

  1. Degree Works gives you a list of required courses
  2. Degree plans can also be found on the Registrar’s webpage
  3. For specific questions regarding courses and degree programs, you may contact your professional advisor or ask your department chair for assistance.


How do I audit a course?

If you wish to audit a course, you must complete the Course Audit Form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar for enrollment in the course(s). You must not have any type of hold that prevents registration. You must submit a copy of the Course Audit form to Student Accounts for proper billing. Audited courses carry no credit and a grade of AU is given. You will not be permitted to change from a course audit to course credit after the close of late registration. Conversely, if you have registered for a course for credit, you will not be permitted to change to audit after the close of late registration.


Do I have to see my advisor to register for classes, even if I know what I want to take?

While you are always encouraged to contact your professional advisor via email or in-person before registering, you may register for your classes without help by using the Alt Pin 151515.


How can I find my advisor?

Click here for a list of advisors for all colleges and schools.


What can I do when the course I want is full?

  • Keep checking the Schedule of Courses. A new section of the course may be added, or someone might drop the course
  • Call or stop by the department offering the course to ask:
  • Is there any way you can get a closed class override?
  • Is it possible that more sections will be added? If so, when?
  • What’s the name of the instructor? Call, email, or stop by during the instructor’s office hours and ask: “What would you recommend if I really want/need this course?”
  • Input your name on the class waitlist. Click here for instructions on how to put yourself on the waitlist.
  • Schedule a course that would be a good alternative. Be sure to review all of your course selections with an adviser.
  • Wait until the semester begins. Many courses will have space available within the first week of classes. If it is okay with the instructor, attend the class, even if you cannot add it at that point. That way you will be sure you really want the course, and you will not have missed anything if the course does open up.
  • Ask the course instructor to sign a registration drop/add form giving you permission to enroll (even though the class is full). If the instructor signs this form, take it to the department that offers the course for approval and processing. If the department does process the “override,” double-check your schedule to be sure the course you added does not conflict with other courses already on your schedule.


What should I do if I fail a course?

If you fail a course, your academic advisor will typically advise that you retake the course as quickly as possible. Retaking the failed course replaces the F with the new grade and then only calculates the newly earned grade into your GPA (as long as you have not exceeded your five (5) repeat grades. This is the quickest and most direct path to improving your GPA.



Adding, Dropping, Withdrawing or Repeating a Course


What’s the difference between dropping a course and withdrawing from a course?

When you drop a course, it is removed from your transcript. You must drop a course during the drop and add period at the start of each semester. Withdrawing takes place after the drop and add period and requires you to complete a course withdrawal form. If you stop attending a course and do not withdraw, a grade of “F” will be assigned.


How can I drop or add a class?

You can adjust your class schedule through the last day of late registration (see Academic Calendars for specific dates). After this date, you will be permitted to adjust your schedule only for unusual and documented circumstances beyond your control and must be approved by the faculty member, department chair, dean, and provost. Adjusting your schedule may affect tuition, fees, and financial aid eligibility, and may require additional payment and/or reimbursement of financial aid awards.


How do I withdraw from a class (on campus and/or online)?

You can withdraw from individual classes until the deadline each semester, term, or session (see Academic Calendars for specific dates). To withdraw from a course, login to self-service banner to complete the online course withdrawal. Click this link for the process to withdraw from a course.

If you have a hold and cannot withdraw from classes:

  • Send an email to Email must be sent within the deadline.
  • Include your name, banner id, course (Ex. Math 123 01) and CRN (Ex. 3450)
  • All course withdrawal limits and rules apply.

If you are enrolled in only one (1) course and choose to withdraw from the course, you must withdraw from the university instead of withdrawing from the course. To withdraw from all

of your courses, complete and submit the University Withdrawal form.

Students who complete the class withdrawal process will receive a grade of W. Tuition and fees are not adjusted for withdrawing from individual classes. Students are required to earn at least 67% of their attempted hours each semester to maintain financial aid eligibility. Students who withdraw from more than 33% of their attempted hours in a semester will lose financial aid. Failure to attend class does not constitute official withdrawal from that class.

You are permitted to withdraw from a maximum of 16 credit hours throughout your undergraduate career. After you have exceeded this limit, you will be assigned a final grade of A, B, C, D, F, or FN.


Will I get a refund if I withdraw from a class?

If you officially withdraw from the university on or before the first week of class, you will receive 100% refund of tuition and fees. If you officially withdraw from the university after the first week of class, you will receive a prorated refund as listed below. After the registration add/drop date for a given term, if you withdraw from a course (and not from the university), you are not eligible to receive a prorated refund from a course withdrawal.

University Withdraw Refund Percentage

1st Week of Class


2nd Week of Class


3rd Week of Class


4th Week of Class


5th Week of Class


6th Week of Class



What is the course repeat policy?

You may repeat a course but can only earn credit hours once for any given course (except in cases where the faculty designate a course as one that can earn credit more than once). When you repeat a course, the lower grade is excluded from the calculation of the Grade Point Average and the higher grade is included. You are allowed a maximum of 16 credit hours for course repeats without penalty (you cannot replace the grades of the same course more than once). “Without Penalty” means that only the higher grade will be calculated into your Grade Point Average. All original entries and grades will appear on the student’s permanent record with the designation that the lower grade has been excluded from the Grade Point Average.

If you repeat the same course for a second time or more and/or exceed the maximum of 16 credit hours, all attempted hours will be counted and all grades will be calculated into the Grade Point Average. However, you can only earn credit once for each course.

If you earn a passing grade twice for the same course, only one set of course credit hours will be counted toward graduation (except in cases where faculty designate a course as one that can earn credit more than once).

All repeated courses are included in your total attempted hours. The tuition surcharge will apply to all hours attempted beyond 140 once you exceed eight enrolled semesters, excluding summer terms.


How can I take an independent study?

An independent study is an individualized, carefully planned, and closely monitored study experience in which a student works under the direct supervision of a faculty member. Permission to pursue independent study will be granted only under the following conditions:

  • You are in your senior year of study
  • Course credit may not be earned through other regular courses offerings
  • The duration of the independent study is at least eight weeks
  • The faculty member affirms that the learning outcomes, assessments, and grading criteria for the independent study are equivalent to similar courses as regularly offered

You may complete no more than one independent study per semester or term. A Request for Independent Study form—with a list of assignments, deadlines for completion, types of assessments, and grading criteria—must be approved by the faculty member who will teach the class and by the department chair and dean of the school/college in which the class is offered.

A course scheduled in a regular class format (whether face to face, online, or hybrid) may not be delivered as an independent study without being approved by the process outlined above.


What is the Alternative Credit Project?

The Alternative Credit Courses are offered by non-profit organizations and for-profit companies. Fayetteville State University (FSU) has reviewed and approved the courses for transfer credit. Twelve of the courses are free and approximately 90 others range in price from $150-$350*. Financial Aid will not cover any cost(s) associated with these courses. The best part is that you can sign up to take them at your convenience. Pay online with a credit card. No semester schedules. Start when you're ready and finish as quickly as you can.

Like all courses taken from any institution other than FSU, prior approval is required. Complete the Registrar's Approval to Pursue Course(s) at Another Institution and have it approved by your advisor before you begin any of the Alternative Credit Courses.

The complete list of courses approved by FSU lists the course title with a link to the site where you register to take it. Click on the link to see course outlines, syllabi, and cost. The list is sorted on FSU Equivalency to make it easy for you to see which courses from your degree plan are available. Click here for more information.


How do I sign up for Study Abroad?

The Office of International Education provides educational opportunities to students who are interested in studying abroad. It is our belief that one of the best ways for our students to prepare themselves in the global world is to visit different parts of the world. Currently, we have sent students to our international partner schools, and also are working closely with our international partner universities, our sister universities in UNC system and other outside agencies such as Frederick Douglas scholarship etc. to provide hundreds of study abroad opportunities to our students. Furthermore, the Office of International Education support FSU faculty-led short-term study abroad and short courses for our students.


What is plagiarism?

The plagiarism policy can be found in the Student Code of Conduct.



Incomplete Grades


What happens if I miss my final exam?

If you are not present at an officially scheduled final exam, you may only be assigned an Incomplete grade if you contact the instructor of the course before the end of the final exam week to request a deferred final examination. If you need to defer an examination, you must furnish valid support for the request. If the faculty member approves the deferred examination, a grade of “I” will be assigned.

If your request for a deferred exam is not granted or if you miss a final exam without contacting the instructor before the end of the final exam week, you are not eligible to receive an Incomplete Grade.


How are incomplete grades assigned?

The grade of “I” may be assigned only when you have maintained a passing average, but for reasons beyond your control, are unable to complete a specific course requirement such as a report, field experience, experiment, or examination. An Incomplete Grade may not be assigned if you have failed to fulfill multiple requirements in a class.

The final grade for an assigned incomplete grade must be submitted by the date final grades are due for all students of the next regular (fall or spring) semester immediately following the semester or term in which the incomplete grade was assigned. If the final grade is not submitted within the required time, the grade will convert to “F.



Minors and Concentrations


What’s the difference between a minor and a concentration?

A minor is a secondary specialization while a concentration is a study focus within a major. A minor can be completely unrelated to your major. For example, a criminal justice major can minor in forensic science or a history major can minor in pre-law. A minor generally requires 12 – 18 hours (4-6 classes).


How do I double major?

You may earn a degree in two different academic disciplines with the permission of the department chairs of both areas and if all requirements of both majors are fulfilled. You are not permitted to combine the requirements of two or more catalogs. However, double or dual majors can use separate catalogs to meet degree requirements if the second declared major was not in existence at the time of the initial declared major. A diploma will be issued for each major. Pursuit of a second major does not exempt you from the tuition surcharge. You are not permitted to pursue an undergraduate and graduate degree at the same time.



Second Bachelor Degree


How can I get a second baccalaureate degree?

If you have already earned a baccalaureate degree from Fayetteville State University, you may earn a second baccalaureate degree by fulfilling all the requirements of the second degree, including the current core curriculum requirements, and completing a minimum of thirty (30) credits beyond the requirements of the first degree. You do not have to repeat courses that you have already taken. The tuition surcharge will apply for all hours attempted beyond 110% of the minimum additional credit hours needed to earn the additional degree.



Final Grade Appeals


How do I appeal my final grade?

If you think that a final grade is inaccurate, you should first consult with the faculty member who awarded the grade. The university expects the majority of grade appeals to be resolved by the student and instructor. If the instructor agrees to change your grade, the instructor must submit a grade change form for approval by the Department Chair, Dean, and Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. If these informal efforts are unsuccessful in resolving your concern, you may initiate a formal grade appeal.

The formal grade appeal must include documentation that one or more of the following occurred: 1) the instructor made an error in calculating the final grade; 2) the final grade was based on criteria and/or standards at variance with the course syllabus; and/or 3) the final grade was based on factors other than student achievement/performance. Failure to address one or more of these three reasons is a basis for rejection of that appeal. You bear the burden of proof in the grade appeal process and a grade appeal will not be successful without appropriate documentation.

You must submit the written appeal, with documentation, first to the instructor. If the instructor rejects the appeal, you may submit the appeal to the instructor’s department chair. If the department chair rejects the appeal, you may submit the appeal to the dean of the college/school of the instructor. If the dean rejects the appeal, you may submit the appeal to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.

If the department chair or dean supports your grade appeal, he or she will forward to the next administrative level for review. The grade appeal will be considered at each administrative level only after it has been reviewed at all previous levels. To ensure review of appeals at each level, each respondent to the appeal will send a copy of the response to next higher review, i.e., faculty will send copy to department chair, department chair to dean, and dean to provost. The department chair and dean will respond to the grade appeal either by upholding the original grade or working with the faculty member (and, in the case of the dean, with the chair) to propose a means of re-evaluating the final grade. The chair and dean do not have the authority to change a student’s grade.

If you submit the written appeal to the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the appeal will be submitted for review to the Academic Credits Committee, which is comprised exclusively of faculty members. If the appeal is based on grounds other than the three specified above, the Academic Credits Committee will reject the appeal without further review. If the appeal is based on one of three grounds specified above, the committee will discuss the appeal with the instructor and the student and, after a careful review of all relevant information, recommend either that the original grade be upheld or that a new grade be awarded. If the committee upholds the original grade, the student will be informed in writing of the decision of the committee. If the committee recommends a new grade and the recommendation is approved by the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the committee’s recommendation will be forwarded to the Registrar, with a copy to the faculty member, for notation on your record. A complete record of the grade appeal process will be placed in the student’s permanent file.

The decision of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs regarding a grade appeal is final and may not be appealed further.


Timeline for Formal Grade Appeal Process

You must initiate the formal grade appeal process no later than the 20th day of class in the next fall or spring semester after the contested grade was received. Grade appeals submitted after this deadline will not be considered. Grade appeals will be resolved before end of the semester in which they are submitted. Grade appeals are not considered during the summer.





How do I remove a hold?

Financial Holds

You must meet your financial obligations prior to the start of each semester. In some cases, your account may become past due during the semester for various reasons (i.e. adjusted financial aid, missing payments on payment plans, additional charges incurred, etc.)

If you have a balance on your account by the close of business on the payment deadline date, your class schedule will be dropped (canceled) due to nonpayment.

Financial aid places a registration hold at the end of Spring term if you have not completed a FAFSA.


How can I view my holds?

You can view your holds by logging into your banner account and clicking on holds. The hold will list the appropriate office to contact for additional information.



Academic Probation and Suspension


What happens if I am placed on academic probation?

If you fail to maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 at the end of the fall semester, you will be placed on Academic Probation and will be permitted to enroll in a maximum of 14 credits for the subsequent semester. If you are on probation, you will be required to complete an Academic Success Plan with their advisors.


What happens if I am suspended?

If your GPA is below 2.0 at the end of the spring semester, you will be placed on academic suspension and you must successfully appeal for continued enrollment and financial aid eligibility.

If your GPA is below 2.0 for the second time at the end of the spring semester, you will be placed on academic suspension, will not be eligible for financial aid, and will not be permitted to re-enroll unless you:

  1. successfully appeal the academic suspension
  2. attend summer school to improve your GPA, or
  3. participate in Academic Fresh Start.


How do I appeal if I am suspended?

You may appeal academic suspension, excessive hours, and low Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) by submitting the online Letter of Appeal form. The appeal form must be submitted by the timelines indicated: May 15 for summer I, June 1 for summer II, July 1 for fall, and October 30 for spring. The completed form must address each of the following:

  1. The special or unusual circumstances, with documentation, which contributed to your academic suspension;
  2. Actions you have taken to change the circumstances so that they will not contribute again to poor academic performance;
  3. Specific steps you will take to improve your academic status in the upcoming semester;
  4. An address and phone number at which you may be notified of the committee’s decision.

Appeals will be granted only under extraordinary circumstances that are appropriately documented. Student appeals submitted after the deadline may not be considered.

Students suspended for a second time will be permitted to re-enroll only under the provisions of the Academic Fresh Start Policy (see policy below).


What is Academic Fresh Start?

Academic Fresh Start allows degree-seeking students whose academic record would otherwise prevent them from enrolling to resume their studies at Fayetteville State University after a period of non-enrollment without the burden of their prior grade point average. Academic Fresh Start does not apply to Special Visiting Students. Under Academic Fresh Start:

  • All course work with a grade of “D” or lower that has been completed at FSU prior to the semester of re-admission will be excluded from the GPA calculation
  • Previous courses in which the student earned a final grade of C or higher will be used to fulfill degree requirements. Such courses will be designated “XG” in the academic transcript
  • Previous courses in which the student earned a D or lower will not be used to fulfill degree requirements and will not count as earned hours. Such courses will be designated “XC” in the academic transcript
  • All course work will remain on the transcript with the following notation: “Academic Fresh Start”
  • All attempted hours will remain on a student’s record, and, hence, hours covered by Academic Fresh Start will be used in determining possible tuition surcharges and financial aid eligibility.

To be eligible for Academic Fresh Start, you must meet admissions criteria at Fayetteville State University. You can demonstrate your potential for degree completion in one of the following ways:

  • Have a period of non-enrollment for at least four (4) consecutive semesters and provide evidence in your request that the conditions that led to poor academic performance have been corrected


  • Have a record of academic performance at another institution (after your departure from FSU) that demonstrates the potential for academic success at FSU. A record of academic performance may be demonstrated by earning an Associate’s degree, completing an academic certificate program, or earning at least 15 semester hours with a C or better.

The following provisions will apply for students readmitted under this program:

A student will be granted Academic Fresh Start only one time

  • Students readmitted under the Academic Fresh Start program will be required to enroll in a UNIV 110 to help them achieve success while re-enrolled
  • Academic Fresh Start students will be eligible for financial aid in the first semester of re-enrollment only if their request is based on a record of academic performance at another institution subsequent to their departure from FSU. If a student does not have a record of academic performance from another institution, he/she will be responsible for all tuition and fees the first semester of reinstatement and must enroll as a full-time student. Academic Fresh Start students will be eligible for financial aid if they meet satisfactory academic progress; to do this, they must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and a progression rate of 67% in hours attempted after their reinstatement with less than 180 attempted hours.


How do I request Academic Fresh Start?

Requests for Academic Fresh Start must be submitted using the Letter of Appeal. The request must specify

  1. The period of initial enrollment at Fayetteville State University
  2. The period of non-enrollment
  3. The conditions that led to the academic difficulty during the initial period of enrollment at Fayetteville State University,
  4. The actions the student has taken to improve these conditions and circumstances
  5. Any record of academic performance at another institution. Academic Fresh Start will be applied to the student’s record at the end of the semester (fall or spring) of his/her return after final grades have been posted.


What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Financial aid recipients (both undergraduates and graduate students) must make satisfactory academic progress to maintain eligibility for financial aid. Fayetteville State University defines satisfactory academic progress in quantitative and qualitative terms. You are evaluated for satisfactory academic progress at the end of the academic year (spring semester), at which time you must have earned at least 67% of your attempted hours with a minimum GPA of 2.0 as an undergraduate and a minimum GPA of 3.0 as a graduate student.


What happens if I exceed 180 credit hours (54 credit hours for graduate students)?

When your total attempted hours (including all transfer hours) exceed 180 credit hours as an undergraduate and 54 credit hours as a graduate student, you will be ineligible for financial aid without successfully appealing through the Academic Appeals Committee for a one-time only approval of maximum hours. You must submit a Letter of Appeal. You will be evaluated for financial aid eligibility at the end of the academic year (spring) and will be notified by the Academic Appeals Committee of their eligibility status.


Academic Eligibility for Co- and Extra-Curricular Activities

If you meet academic eligibility requirements for participation in student organizations in the fall semester, you will retain your eligibility in the spring semester, unless specified otherwise by the constitution, guidelines, and/or contracts of the organization.



Readmission into the University


If I have dropped out, how can I get readmitted into the university?

You are considered a readmit student if you have previously attended FSU but have not been enrolled for either a fall or spring semester. You will apply for readmission through either the Registrar's Office or the Office of Admissions, depending on how long you have been away and your status when you left FSU. Click here to read below to determine which office will process your readmission.



Academic Honors


What are the criteria for Academic Honors?

The university recognizes student academic excellence through the Chancellor’s List, the Deans’ List, and invitation to membership in a number of honor societies. Each College hosts an annual Honors and Awards Day Ceremony to highlight excellent academic achievements by students.

Chancellor’s List

If you successfully complete at least twelve (12) semester hours during one semester (or two consecutive terms for Fort Liberty students), earn a GPA of 3.75 or higher, and have no incomplete grades, you are placed on the Chancellor’s List.

Deans’ List

If you successfully complete at least twelve (12) semester hours during one semester (or two consecutive terms for Fort Liberty students), earn a GPA of 3.2 to 3.74, and have no incomplete grades, you are placed on the Deans’ List.


What are the criteria to graduate with honors?

Graduation distinctions are awarded based on your cumulative GPA. To be eligible to graduate with honors, undergraduate students must have completed a minimum of sixty (60) earned hours at Fayetteville State University. and may be awarded with the following honors:

Summa Cum Laude: GPA of 3.800 - 4.000
Magna Cum Laude: GPA of 3.500 - 3.799
Cum Laude: GPA of 3.200 - 3.499

You will be recognized for graduation with distinction at commencement exercises based on your grade point average when you are cleared for participating in commencement exercises. Graduation with distinction will be recognized on your final transcript and diploma on the basis of the complete academic record.




How do I apply for graduation?
You need to complete a degree application. This application requires your advisor's signature to verify that you and your advisor have reviewed all outstanding requirements and they will be completed by the end of the fall (for December completion), or spring/summer for spring completion.

When do I submit my degree application?
Degree applications are due by the Friday of advising week for the spring semester of your senior year. Since you are required to meet with your advisor during advising week, it is recommended that you take the application with you to that meeting.

What happens if I don't submit my application by the deadline?
You may submit an Application for Graduation after the deadline. If you submit an application for graduation with less than 3 weeks before the commencement exercise, your name may not appear in the commencement program.



Calculating Your Grade Point Average


How do I calculate my GPA?

At the end of each semester and summer session, a grade point average is calculated for the current term and your entire career. The current GPA is based exclusively on the courses in which you are enrolled for that specific term, while the cumulative GPA is based on all courses you have completed at Fayetteville State University. The GPA is based on the following formula:



Total Quality Points

Total GPA Hours

Your grade point average (GPA) is calculated by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of credits earned. Specifically, “Total Quality Points” are computed by multiplying the grade by the number of credit hours earned (GPA hours) for each course and then adding the quality points. “Credit Hours Earned (GPA Hours)” refers to the credit hours for courses in which you earned a final letter grade of A, B, C, D, or F. Withdrawals from a course or the university and incompletes do not affect your GPA hours; however, courses with a grade of F and/or FN are calculated into the GPA. Letter grades are assigned the following grade point values:


You can also use the GPA calculator to calculate your GPA.



Midterm Grades


When do midterm grades come out?

Mid-term grades are issued during the week after mid-terms. These midterm grades don’t show permanently on your transcript, and they don’t factor into your GPA — but they do reflect the progress you are making in each class. If you’re earning a D or F, you need to see your professor about getting help. Or talk to your advisor. You might want to think about withdrawing from that class – but remember, financial aid, housing, health insurance, etc., may be impacted by a change in your course-credit status. The important thing to remember is that a D or F grade at midterm is a red flag and is the time to take action by speaking with your professor, professional advisor, or other faculty or staff member you feel comfortable talking with.



Student Academic Support Resources


Where can I get help with tutoring?

The campus offers a broad array of academic support options including tutoring within the residence halls; organized group study sessions; a writing center; and individual consultation with faculty members.

  • The Language Lab provides audio, video, language learning system, computer facilities and equipment for language teaching and learning, assists in the preparation of instructional materials, and offers training and consultation to faculty with the application of new language instructional technologies.
  • The Writing Center provides one-on-one and group tutoring for students in 100-level English courses in addition to any other course where writing assistance is needed.
  • The Math Support Center is committed to offering superior tutorial services in Math. The Math Support Center maintains a caring, supportive, and encouraging academic presence to the university community. The University College Mathematics Support Center provides one-on-one and group tutoring for students in 100-level Math courses.
  • Supplemental Instruction is offered through peer-led study sessions. Ask your instructor if Supplemental Instruction is offered in your course.
  • EX Grades


Free Online Study Tools

There are many free tools online that will help you succeed.

Flash Card Machine

FlashCard Machine lets anyone create study flash cards and share them with others for free. Sign up and create your own flashcards in different subjects, organize them into sets, reorder and copy cards within a set and insert images and audios. You can share your flashcard set(s) with others who study the same subject by forwarding your flashcard URL, which they can access and study without registering. You can also browse flashcards shared by others by a subject or search using relevant keywords. Furthermore, flashcards can be saved to favorites for later reference. You can also use it on your mobile device and there’s even an app for it in the iTunes app storeAll for freeWatch our quick video for a tutorial on how to use Flashcard Machine or go directly to their website to get started:

Study Blue

Study Blue is a great study tool for college students that allows you to store notes and create flashcards. Study materials are accessible anywhere that you have an internet connection and even from your phone. Best of all, it is free to sign up and get started! It helps you study more efficiently by keeping track of what you have already learned, and what you still need work on. This makes studying focused and productive. You can easily create flashcards based on your notes and then use those flashcards to study. Study Blue is organized by class, making keeping track of study materials really easy. You can easily invite classmates to add to your notes or study materials and you can even upload notes they have taken outside of Study Blue. You can use it on your mobile device or get the Study Blue app from the iTunes app store. Watch our video for a quick tutorial on how to use Study Blue or go directly to their website to get started:

Khan Academy

Visit Khan Academy for Math, Science, Computer Science, Finance & Economics, Humanities, and GRE Test Prep.





How do I find out about scholarships?

Fayetteville State offers an array of scholarship opportunities to assist you with your educational expenses. Scholarship awards are free money that you do not have to pay back. Each scholarship has eligibility requirements, ranging from special talent scholarships to academic scholarships. You can also learn more about scholarship opportunities by visiting the Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid.



Federal Work Study


What is Work Study?

The Federal Work Study Program is designed to provide financial aid resources through part-time employment for students having documented financial need for assistance in meeting their educational expenses. The program must be a supplement to existing aid for students, thereby increasing part-time job opportunities throughout the campus. Click here to find out more about federal work study.





How do I get an internship?

Internships give you the opportunity to obtain real-life career experiences and to enhance your credentials. It is important that you choose your internships based on your interests and potential career prospects. As an intern, you will have the opportunity to get your foot in the door with an agency. Keep in mind, employers often use internships as a recruitment tool to test out future employees, and in many cases, agencies and organizations hire interns after graduation.

Internships are beneficial experiences to help improve your chances as a job applicant. You will get the opportunity to showcase your knowledge of concepts and theories learned in the classroom. If you are interested in participating in an internship, contact your department chair. 



Information on Contacting Faculty, Department Chairs, and Deans


How do I get in contact with my professor outside of class?

Professors usually list their contact information on the top of their syllabus which is available on the first day of class. Many professors post office hours online or outside their office door. You can call, email, or stop by your professor’s office during office hours. If you are having difficulty contacting your professor, call or visit the department’s administrative assistant or department chair. The administrative assistant can provide you with the contact information from the syllabus or forward a message on your behalf.


Who can I contact if I can’t find my instructor?

If you visit the department’s home page, you will find contact information for the department chair. If you are unable to contact department chair, you should contact the Dean of your school or college. The contact information is below:

College of Humanities and Social Sciences (formerly the College of Arts and Sciences)
Dr. Sam Adu-Mireku ( 

College of Education
Dr. Marion Gillis Olion ( 

Broadwell College of Business and Economics
Dr. Lee Brown ( 

College of Health, Science, and Technology
Dr. Afra Arhin 

University College
Dr. Gerald Mitchell ( 

If you need additional assistance, you can also contact the Office of the Provost
Dr. Pamela Jackson (



Filing a Complaint


Who do I need to contact if I need to submit a complaint?

You should always first try to resolve your complaint with your professor, chair, dean, or provost. If that has not been successful, please complete the student complaint form.




Career Services


What services are offered by Career Services?

The Office of Career Services offers career coaching; job search assistance; résumé and cover letter assistance, job listings for full-time, part-time, and internship positions (through Handshake); events such as the fall & spring career fairs; career development workshops; interviewing preparation (mock interviews); employer information sessions, and on-campus interviewing.


What should I do if I am unsure about my career choice?

Call or visit the Office of Career Services to make arrangements to take a career assessment. Career Services offers two assessments: 

  1. Focus 2 can be taken at your leisure from any computer. Begin by registering for an account using your email. The access code is bronco 
  2. My Next Move and can be taken on any computer once an account has been created. In addition, it is recommended that you make appointment with the Career Services office to have your career assessment results interpreted.