Department of Middle Grades, Secondary and Specialized Subjects (MSSS)
A career in education is an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students. With a degree in education, you will gain the necessary skills related to content, master the art of teaching, and inspire others, all while giving back to your community.
Why Choose MSSS?
The MSSS faculty provide innovative and real-world learning activities for our students so that after graduation they are ready to become leaders in the field. Our department prides itself on our extensive experiences teaching K-12 students and educating future teachers to do the same. Our faculty will provide the caring mentorship and instructional support needed throughout your academic journey at FSU.
We consistently offer small class sizes that enable you to receive individualized attention. We understand that many students are choosing education later in life, therefore we offer many courses on-line or through hybrid teaching methods while maintaining the same rigor of content provided through on-campus courses. Our graduates have gone on to teach throughout North Carolina and across the country. Many of our graduates have pursued advanced degrees through master's and doctoral programs.
The principal goal of the Department of Middle Grades, Secondary and Specialized Subjects is to provide quality education for prospective facilitators of learning in middle grades, secondary, and specialized subjects. In keeping with this principal goal, the department offers programs leading to the:
- Health and Physical Education-Teaching K-12 (B.S.)
- Health and Physical Education-Non-Teaching (B.S.)
- Middle Grades Education 6-9 (B.S.)
- Secondary Education 9-12 (B.S.)
- Licensure in Art Education
- Licensure in Health and Physical Education K-12
- Licensure in Middle Grades Education 6-9
- Licensure in Music Education K-12
- Licensure in Secondary Education 9-12
- Licensure in Special Education K-12
- M.A.T. in Middle Grades Education
- M.A.T. in Secondary Education
- M.Ed. in Middle Grades Education
- M.Ed. in Secondary Education
- M.A.T. in Special Education
- M.Ed. in Special Education