Degree Works Frequently Asked Questions

What is Degree Works?
Degree Works is an online degree evaluation advising tool that helps monitor student progress toward degree completion. Degree Works measures all student coursework (completed, currently enrolled, future registration, or transferred courses) for degree requirements in a user friendly worksheet.

Who can use Degree works?
All degree-seeking students, advisors, faculty, and staff may utilize degree works.

Can students register for classes in Degree Works?
Not currently; however, when the student information systems is upgraded to Banner 9, this feature will be possible.

How current is the information in Degree Works?
The Degree Works database is updated nightly. Any changes made to a student's record in the current day (e.g., grade changes, new major, or classes added/dropped) will be reflected the next day. If the worksheet is not displaying updates, send all inquiries to DWTeam@uncfsu.edu.

How often should a student and advisor meet to review a degree audit?
A student should discuss how often to meet with his or her advisor.

Can I use the degree audit as an official transcript?
No, the degree audit is not an official academic transcript. The degree audit is a degree evaluation advising tool. You can view your unofficial transcript via Self-Service or you can request your official transcript through the National Student Clearinghouse.

How is the degree audit different from the official transcript?
The degree audit is a degree evaluation advising tool that provides academic information related to degree completion progress. The official transcript is a copy of your permanent academic record that includes, all courses taken each semester with dates of attendance, term GPA, grades, academic standing, honors, and other information that reflects your academic performance.

What are the meanings of the symbols in Degree Works


  • Complete = courses or requirements met
  • Not Complete = courses or requirements not met
  • Complete except for classes in progress = in progress courses or requirements
  • Nearly complete = in progress courses or requirements, see your advisor
  • Transfer Class (TP) = Transfer courses
  • Any course number (@) = any courses

Can students complete a change of major/minor/concentration through Degree Works?
No. Students should submit a Declaration of major or Change of Major online. Instructions on how to declare or change a major, please click here.

Does Degree Works include transfer courses?
Yes. Accepted transfer credits may be used to assist in meeting requirements or placed in the fall through block.

How do students know what classes to take?
Courses still needed to meet degree requirements will be listed as "Still Needed".

I cannot run an audit. What should I do?
If you cannot run an audit, you may be listed as an Undeclared or Pre major. You may use the What-if scenario. You will need to meet with your academic advisor to declare a major.

I think the degree audit is incorrect. What should I do?
You should discuss your concerns with your academic advisor.

What-If Audit FAQs:

I would like to change my major. How can I view the new major requirements if I made this change?
You may use the What-if scenario on the worksheet tab to generate an audit based on the new major requirements. When running the What-if audit, you must select a degree, catalog term and major with any minors or concentrations. A What-if audit does not guarantee the student will be accepted into the major, the student will need to submit a declaration of major.

Can advisors view a student's What-If audit?
No. Advisors can only view a What-if audit if printed. What-if audits are not stored in Degree Works.

Will grades be viewable in Degree works?
Yes. However, any changes during the current day will be viewable the next business day.

Can students view a list of all of classes taken?
Yes. Click the Class History link on the worksheet tab to view transfer and courses taken at Fayetteville State University.

For any questions not addressed in this FAQ, contact your Academic Advisor, Department Chair, or Dean.
General Frequently Asked Questions
  1. How do I reset my Banner login pin?
    Contact the Office of the Registrar at (910) 672-1185 for assistance. Please be able to respond to qualifying questions for verification.
  2. How do I request a transcript?
    Transcripts can be requested online in Self-Service Banner, by fax or mail.  Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to request an official online transcript.
  3. How do I register for classes?
    You can register online in Self-Service Banner. All undergraduate students will need their alt-pin to register. Please contact your advisor for your alt-pin.
  4. Who is my advisor/how do I get in contact with an advisor?
    You can view your advisor information online in Self-Service Banner. Once you have your advisor's name you can look up your advisor's contact information in the Campus Directory. If you do not have an advisor, contact your academic department for assistance.
  5. How do I get my alternate pin for registration?
    Undergraduate students must contact your assigned advisor or the department chair of your major. (see question 4). Alternate pins are not required for the Graduate/Doctoral students.
  6. How do I withdraw from a course?
    You can withdraw from courses using your self-service login account. However, you cannot use this process to withdraw from all courses for which you are enrolled. Click here for instructions.
  7. How do I withdraw from ALL courses from the university for the semester?
    Do not use the course withdrawal form, use the University Withdrawal form. You must print this form and mail or email to univwith@uncfsu.edu. If you are pre-registered for any subsequent semesters and you do not intend to return the following semester, please inform Personal Development that you desire the courses to be dropped.
  8. How do I request an enrollment verification letter at the beginning of the semester?
    Log into your Banner self-service account and click on Student and Financial Aid; then click Student Records; then click Request Enrollment Verification.
  9. How can I request an enrollment verification letter after the semester begins?
    FSU participates in the National Student Clearinghouse, which is the nation's trusted source for education verification. Data is sent to the National Clearinghouse on the last working day of every month to include the summer months. You may request enrollment certification directly from the National Student Clearinghouse. Please login to your FSU Engage account,  to request your enrollment verification. The National Clearinghouse also informs you of pertinent loan deferment information. 
  10. How do I know if I will be assessed a tuition surcharge?
    Please review the Tuition Surcharge Policy. Please follow the instructions located in the policy on submitting an appeal/waiver.
  11. Did I get approved by the academic appeals committee?
    The academic appeals committee meets once a week and students are notified weekly by email once a decision has been made. Please check your Bronco email account periodically for your decision email.
  12. What are registration errors?
    These are errors messages you might receive when you try to register and you are not successful. For all errors, you must contact the instructor of the class and inform him/her of the error message you have received (make sure you write down the information in the "Status" box). If the instructor approves, they will then issue an override or permit for each error message you received, so that you can enroll into the class. You may go directly to the department if you cannot reach the instructor. Please note: The Office of the Registrar cannot approve or issue overrides or permits; you must see the instructor or go to the academic department. Click here for more information about the registration errors.
  13. How do I get on a course wait list?
    The step-by-step instructions on how to get on a wait list is available in PDF. Click here to view the instructions [PDF].
  14. How do I add classes using the worksheet?
    When I click Add/Drop from classes, the drop menu does not appear for me to drop a course, however I am able to add classes using the worksheet.
    The department may have added the instructor permit to the course after you initially registered. Please contact the instructor of the course or department chair to issue you the instructor permit. You can then drop the course.
  15. How do I run my FSU Degree Audit (CAPP)?
    How to Run Your FSU CAPP Degree Evaluation
  16. How do I interpret my degree evaluation?
    How to Interpret a CAPP Degree Evaluation
  17. How often does the Academic Appeal Committee meet?
    The Academic Appeals Committee meets weekly during October, November, May, June and July.
  18. What is the turnaround time for the committee's decision after the academic appeal form has been turned in?
    Up to 30 days after appeal has been received. Unless academic guidelines are being reviewed and updated, it may take up to 60 days.
  19. When are students with a low GPA and/or below 67% of standard academic progress notified to submit an academic appeal form?
    Students are notified of their academic standing/progress at the end of each semester. Notifications are sent via email approximately 2 to 3 weeks after their final grades have been submitted.
  20. Who notifies the student if their financial aid extension form has been approved?
    Academic appeal decisions are sent via email from the Academic Appeals Committee.
  21. When will tuition surcharge form be accepted at the Registrar Office?
    Tuition surcharge forms are not accepted until notification of the surcharge is received from Student Accounts. Notification will be sent via email to the student's Bronco email address. The instructions on when and how to submit the form will be included in the correspondence from Student Accounts
  22. What is the turnaround time for an in-school deferment form?
    Once received in our office, your request will be referred to the national student clearinghouse, Fayetteville State University's authorized vendor. Please allow 1-3 business days for our office to submit the in-school deferment request. Once processed the information will be electronically sent to your lender. Please allow another 5-10 business days for processing. To check the status of your request, please login to self-service banner and follow instructions on how to request an enrollment verification, select view student loan deferment notifications.

    IMPORTANT: If you have more than one loan holder, a separate form is required for each lender.

    Please use this checklist to ensure your deferment forms submission to the National Student Clearinghouse includes all the information required for timely processing.

    What Each Deferment Form Should Include:
    o Student's full name
    o Student's Social Security number
    o Date of birth
    o Name of student's loan holder or servicer address on the second page of the deferment form
    o Student's signature
  23. When will students have access to the enrollment verification portal?
    Access to the enrollment verification portal is now available for students. A new student file is submitted every 30 days for updates. Verifications are available 24/7 via the Web, using your FSU network user name and password.
  24. How do I find my GPA?
    Log into your Banner self-service account. For more information, click here.
Registration Frequently Asked Questions

1. I cannot register for a class. It says Registration Add Error. What does this mean?

  • Click the View Holds link
Search Search


View Holds
  • Look at what the error message says under Hold Type.
  • These are the holds on your record. If you have a registration hold you will not be allowed to register.
  • If you have a grades hold you will not be able to view your grades.
  • A transcript hold will prevent you from viewing your transcript.
Administrative Holds
Hold Type From Date To Date Amount Reason Originator Processes Affected
Suspension/Reinstated Sept. 11, 2013 Dec. 31, 2099 Pending review of final grades Office of the Registrar Registration
  • The From Date tells you the date the hold was placed.
  • The To Date tells you when the hold will be released automatically.
  • The Reason field tells you why the hold was placed.
  • The Originator field tells you what office placed the hold
  • The Processes Affected field tells you what the hold will affect.

2. When I try to register for a class, it says will not allow me due to errors?

  • Look under the Status field for the specific error message. See types below.

  • CLOSED SECTION - the class you entered is closed. The instructor must issue a closed class override if he/she wants to allow you in the class.
  • INSTRUCTOR - The instructor must issue an Instructor permit to allow you in the class.
  • PREQ and TEST SCORE-ERROR - You are missing the prerequisite for the course. You must receive a Prerequisite override from the instructor is they are to allow you to register without the appropriate prerequisites.
  • COREQ - You are not currently enrolled in the co-requisite course. You must receive the Corequisite override from the instructor if they are to allow you to register for the class.
  • TIME - You have a time conflict with another class.
  • MAJOR - You are registering for a class that can only be taken by students of a particular major.

You must request the appropriate override from the instructor. Once the instructor issues the override, you must now register for the class.

3. How do I find my advisor in Banner?

  • Log into Banner
  • Click on Student and Financial Aid
  • Click on Student Records
  • Click on View Student Information & Advisor

4. How can I tell if my Class Withdrawal has been processed?

  • Log into Banner
  • Click on Student and Financial Aid
  • Click on Student Records
  • Click on Final Grades
  • If your withdrawal has been processed, the course will have a final grade of "W".

5. How can I tell if my University Withdrawal has been processed?

  • Log into Banner
  • Click on Student and Financial Aid
  • Click on Student Records
  • Click on Final Grades
    If your university withdrawal has been processed, all courses will have a final grades of "WU".