Preferred First Name

Fayetteville State University (University) uses an individual's legal name by default; however, the University recognizes that members of the campus community may prefer to use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. In a good faith effort to allow such individual preferences, the University has developed a process to allow individuals to update their preferred first name as outlined below.

Primary/Legal Name An individual's primary name is their legal name.  The Primary/Legal Name will continue to be used on official University records, including but not limited to the following:  

  • Legal documents and reports produced by the University
  • Student Account Statement (bills)
  • Financial Aid and Scholarship documents
  • Transcripts and diplomas
  • Enrollment Verifications
  • Student employment documents
  • Employment Verifications
  • Employment documents
  • Paychecks, W2s, and other payroll documents
  • Benefits enrollment

Changing to a Preferred First Name has no effect on an individual's Primary/Legal Name.
For Primary/Legal Name changes, please visit Student Information Updates.

Preferred First Name

Individuals are free to request a Preferred First Name by which they want to be known within the University community. Preferred First Names will be used or made available in the following University systems and records:  

  • Campus Directory
  • One Card
  • General mailings
  • Canvas discussions, messages, and comments
  • Faculty Self-Service class list
  • Student Self Service Profile Page

In addition to the above, the University is continuing to explore future options for displaying Preferred First Names.  

The University reserves the right to deny a request for a preferred name if it is used inappropriately. Inappropriate use includes names that attempt to avoid legal obligation, misrepresent the individual, harass, threaten or are otherwise objectionable.  

How to Request a Preferred First Name
For Employees
Employees should contact the Office of Human Resources at (910) 672-1146.

For Students
Access your Student Self Service account.
Click on Student Profile.
Scroll through the Additional Links section.
Click on the Preferred First Name Request form. 

Once submitted, the request is reviewed by the Office of the Registrar to ensure compliance within the University's guidelines.

If approved, the Preferred First Name is updated in the student information system. The name is then synced to Canvas so it is displayed on the appropriate instructors' rosters.
If approved, your instructors and advisor will be notified of the change. 

To request a new Bronco One Card, contact the Bronco One Card Office at 910-672-1762 or (910) 672-2310.