Tran, Trung V
Dr. Trung Tran, GISP
Program Coordinator, Geospatial Science Degree Program
Director, USGIF-accredited GEOINT Certificate Program
Office: Lyons Science 201B
Dr. Trung Tran is an Assistant Professor of Geospatial Science in the Department of Intelligence Studies, Geospatial Science, Political Science and History at Fayetteville State University. He is the Program Coordinator of the Geospatial Science Degree Program and Director of the USGIF-Accredited GEOINT Certificate Program. He is also the current President of the Potomac Region American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS). Tran received his PhD in Geography (concentrations: remote sensing, GIS, land cover/use change) from the Department of Geography and Environmental Sustainability at the University of Oklahoma (OU). As a geospatial scientist, his research and teaching interest is to leverage geographic information science (GIScience), geovisualization, remote sensing, and unmanned aerial systems (UASs) to the understanding of transportation-community linkages as well as human-environment interactions across a variety of landscapes from mountains to floodplains and from urban to rural. His past projects have included remote sensing data fusion for forest disturbances, sub-pixel classification for land cover heterogeneity in urbans, satellite remote sensing approach for linking desertification with conflicts, remote sensing to detect war impacts on landscape change in Ukraine, multi-dimensional visualization of mobile objects and epidemics, geospatial analytics of on-demand transportation, and network analysis for understanding of urban expansion impacts on accessibility. Currently funded projects include geospatial data science approach for flood monitoring and management (NASA funded) and geospatial data analytics for upward social mobility in rural areas toward clean energy (NSF funded). He is also the principal investigator and director of the NASA-funded five-year Precollege Summer Institute as well as director of the NASA-funded GLOBES Lab (Geospatial anaLytics & OBserving Earth for Sustainability). In his spare time, Tran plays badminton and swims. He also prefers travelling with his family to not only enjoy the beauty of the nature but also learn how natural landscape has been altered by human.
- Ph.D., University of Oklahoma (OU), USA
- M.E., HCMC University of Technology, Vietnam
- B.E., HCMC University of Technology, Vietnam
Courses Taught at FSU
- GEOG 200 - Weather and Climate
- GEOG 210 - Principles of Geography
- GEOG 220 - World Regional Geography
- GEOG 311 - Spatial Thinking, Cartography, and Data Visualization
- GEOG 313 - Aerial Photo Interpretation
- GEOG 314 - Introduction to Remote Sensing
- GEOG 317 - Geoprocessing Workflow Automation and Design
- GEOG 320 - Introduction to GIS
- GEOG 325 - Applied GIS
- GEOG 485 - GEOINT Capstone
- GIScience, Geographic Representation, Geovisualization, and Spatio-Temporal Analytics
- Satellite Remote Sensing and UAV/UAS
- Land Change, Urban Ecological and Environmental Systems, Landscape Ecology
- Bui TT, Tran TV, Le LHT, Duong HHT, Tran PV. (2018). An Approach to Representing Traffic State on Urban Roads Used by Various Types of Vehicles. In Nguyen NT, Hoang DH, Hong TP, Pham H, Trawiński B (Eds.) Intelligent Information and Database Systems. (pp. 179-188). Springer.
- Tran TV, Bui TT, Nguyen TDT, Huynh CNT, Tran PV. (2017). Block-Moving Approach for Speed Adjustment on Following Vehicle in Car-Following Model. In CV Phan, HHC Nguyen, V Emil (Eds.) Context-Aware Systems and Applications, and Nature of Computation and Communication (pp. 100-109). Springer.
- Tran TV, Truong TV, Meyer T. (2016). Characterizing pedestrian crashes along an urbanization gradient: A case study in Greensboro, North Carolina. In Transportation Research Board 95th Annual Meeting 2016, Washington DC, USA, January 10-14.
- Tran TV, de Beurs KM, Julian JP. (2016). Monitoring forest disturbances in Southeast Oklahoma using Landsat and MODIS images. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 44, 42-52.
- Tran PV, Tran TV, Nguyen HT. (2014). Visualization-based tracking system using mobile device. In J. Sobecki, V. Boonjing, S. Chittayasothorn (Eds.) Advanced Approaches to Intelligent Information and Database Systems (pp. 345-354). Springer.
- Tran TV, Julian JP, de Beurs KM. (2014). Land cover heterogeneity effects on sub-pixel and per-pixel classifications. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 3, 540-553.
- Julian JP, Davies-Colley RJ, Gallegos CL, Tran TV. (2013). Optical water quality of inland waters: A landscape perspective. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 103, 309-318.