The Staff Senate was established by the Chancellor in 1998 as a representative body which:
- Advises the Chancellor and his/her designee as requested
- Considers rules, policies, regulations and procedures affecting SHRA and EHRA (non-teaching) Staff.
- Encourages communication concerning general employment interests and concerns, current University operations, and University plans or prospects.
- Makes constructive suggestions for a more efficient and effective University working environment among all employees.
Who do we advise?
- The Chancellor
- Senior Administrators
- Human Resources
Goals this Year:
- Continue to work closely with Human Resources to offer more staff development opportunities.
- Improve and maintain Staff Educational Assist through Grants for SHRA and EHRA (non-teaching) employees.
- Increase staff involvement in community partnerships.
- Increase staff involvement in collaborations and partnerships with Faculty Senate and Student Government Association.
- Review the By-Laws and update the policies and/or procedures and make recommendations regarding interest/concerns that affect staff members.
- Update and maintain Staff Senate Website to improve communication with the staff formally and informally, through various means.
- Increase the visibility of our Staff Senate by using social media tools, brochures, etc.
When do We Meet?
The Senate meets every third Thursday of the month. These meetings are designed to keep staff informed of what is happening on our campus and within the UNC System.
Executive Committee Members
- Velappan Velappan, President
- Amescia Moody, Vice President
- Suzetta Perkins, Secretary of the Senate
- Roni Stearns, Corresponding Secretary
- Natasha Walker, Treasurer
- Patricia Flanigan, Parliamentarian
- Vacant, Coordinator of Web Information
- Michelle Saunders, Coordinator of Memberships
The Staff Senate Grant Award principally targets four year academic programs; however, graduate and certificate/licensing programs are also eligible provided that the training will enhance the applicant's skills and abilities. Recipients are selected by a selection committee.
The grant will be applied to the cost of tuition and/or fees. Payment will be made directly to the providing institution. One grant up to the amount of $250 will be awarded per semester. The grant award will only be offered to a staff member once each academic year.
For additional information, please contact a member of the Grant Award Committee
Chair: Keith Townsend ext. 1091
Co-Chair: Patricia Flanigan ext. 1543
In support of staff development, Fayetteville State University Staff Senate has created and administers a computer loan program for qualifying FSU staff members. It is the intent of this program to put computers in the hands of employees who may have limited access to computers thus providing the means for them to develop computer skills, take classes or in other ways expand their knowledge and skills in ways that are mutual beneficial to themselves and to Fayetteville State University. The Staff Senate Computer Loan Committee manages this initiative. This program is for desktop computers only.
Participant Eligibility Criteria
- Fayetteville State University Staff Member
- Preference will be given to employees who do not work with computers on a daily basis
- Permanent Full-time Employee
The desktop computers are from surplus and is wiped clean by a certified technician from the IT department before redistribution.
Staff Senate Committee Members
- Monique Alexander - Chair
- Arnescia Moody
To apply for a computer loan, please submit a completed application form using one of these methods.
- Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office: 209 Lilly Building or 211 Collins Building
After your application is reviewed, you will be contacted about whether or not you qualify for the program and when a computer will be available. There is no limitation on how long an employee can keep the computer.Notice: All computers are University property and must be reported to Campus Police if lost or stolen.